Thursday, April 29, 2021

Ted Lasso

I finally watched this. I admit I simply didn't believe all the hype could be true. And I definitely didn't think I'd enjoy a show about a sport, a sport I don't follow or care about, and what seemed like an obvious 'fish out of water' type plot.

Yet, I must give praise, and admit that it got to me. By the end of the 3rd episode I got it, and was hooked. Ted's determination to win you over with kindness worked on me.

I doubt if anyone could dislike this show. It's very comforting, but unlike most shows trying to be comforting, it's quite complex, clever, and unpredictable. I think at least six characters go through a full arc, and that's actually really saying something considering it's only ten half-hour episodes.

Of note is how well all of the minor character's were. And even the smaller storylines. Everybody is 3-dimensional. What would normally be an angry stuck up woman is really a woman who hopes a revenge plan will hold off her pain and repeated humiliations. We see characters on the field acting arrogant, but conflicted because they know it feels wrong, but do it because they were raised to be that way.

And so many characters who don't stand up for themselves learn to, because Ted believes that is more important than winning. And that this is what a real coach is supposed to do.

And Ted isn't static either, in his optimism or ideas. He changes and evolves. He screws up, and admits it, learns from it, and is the better person for it.

Seriously, watch this. I'm definitely going to revisit it again in a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment